|?}||Communities bordering Georges Township, PA include Fairchance, PA, German Township, PA, Nicholson Township, PA, Smithfield, PA, South Union Township, PA, Springhill Township, PA, and Wharton Township, PA.|
Mentions Georges Township, PA (less relevant)
|?}||The oldest English settlement in Fayette County, PA of which we have an authentic record, was made in 1751 by Wendell Brown and his three sons, Maunnus, Thomas, and Adam. This was about two years before Christopher Gist effected his settlement at Mount Braddock, PA (North Union Township, PA). The Browns built their first cabin in Provance's Bottom along the Monongahela River, but for some reason the Indians did not want them there, and persuaded them to take up other land in Georges Township, PA. For several years these four men lived in these western wilds alone, with only the Redmen for their neighbors. Yet they were never molested. On one occasion, Thomas was caught spying upon the Indians, and had his teeth knocked out by a tomahawk for his insolence; but aside from this they received the most kind and generous treatment as neighbors and friends. The French occupation of Fort Duquense, in 1754, put an end to this strange experience. The Browns patriotically rallied to the help of Colonel George Washington, doing everything they could to furnish him with provisions for his little army. They were at Fort Necessity at the time of the surrender, July 4, 1754; and, their cabin having been destroyed by the French, returned with the defeated army to Virginia. In 1758, after the expulsion of the French by General John Forbes, they returned to Fayette County, PA, bringing with them their wives and children and establishing themselves permanently in their western homes.|
By Robert Bailey Sr.The original High School of Fairchance, PA existed between the years 1905 - 1958. On Feb. 12, 1958 the High School was destroyed by fire, and the students were moved to the Son's of Italy Hall and the Windy Hill School, belonging to Georges Township, PA for the remainder of the year. Fairchance-Georges District was formed the next year, and has since become the Albert Gallatin School District.The All-Class reunions for the students, 1905-1958 began with their first reunion on July 3, 1976 with 536 in attendance.
The second was in 1983, was a 3 day celebration June 17, 18, 19 with 400 attending.
The third was in 1989 June 25, 26, 27 with 500 attending.
The fourth 1993 June 25, 26, 27 with 350+ in attendance.
And in 1997 July 4, 5, 6 was our last reunion to date.Fairchance High School's first class was graduated in 1905. Mr. Corpenning was the principal and later became superintendent of Fayette County schools. He was followed by Fred Rubble, Ray Minerd, and Mr. Deppa, followed by Quincy Vincent, H. V. Lucas and Anthony Moats, then Jacob Wentzel, and Leonard Bailey. Jesse Franks was the principal at the time of the 1958 fire.The school became well known through the years for its operettas, three-act plays and minstrels. In the 1920s Chapel was held in the auditorium, consisting of reading the bible, prayer, flag salute and brief remarks from the principal.The first kindergarten was begun in 1947 by late Ellen Belle Hickle. The parent & teachers organization followed in 1948, and the first student council in 1949.Inasmuch as it is impossible for us to retain in any part, the name Fairchance, we must admit that there could be no better name chosen than Albert Gallatin, historically speaking. We should all feel pride in the name when we recall how much this statesman (Albert Gallatin) contributed to our early development and helped in many ways to make this area what it is today.Note: I do possess the teachers' names and the students for each class that attended the school. Any one inquiring about these groups can receive this info through an Email.
Maps of Georges Township, PA
|External Resources for "Georges Township, PA"|
|Web Search||Weather||News Search|